Should I Renovate or Sell My Home?
Home is where the heart is! While you may be well-versed with the concerned maxim, there could be times when you don’t find your heart at your home. Consequently, you might consider the idea of either renovating your home or selling it and moving to a new place altogether. While making such a decision, do consider the following points:
- It’s never easy to decide on whether you should renovate and stay or sell and move but in order to make an informed decision you need to know and understand the market value of your current home. Before you make a decision either way, it’s a good idea to contact a real estate agent and have them come to your house and provide you with up-to-date market evaluation. Once you know the value of your home you can then begin to way the pros and cons of renovation or moving.
- Make sure you understand what’s at stake. Renovating your house might lead to a lot of stress and disruptions in your daily life. You need to ask yourself, can you and your family handle weeks or even months of potential chaos. Alternatively, buying new house and selling the current one would also require so hard work ahead. Packing and moving can be scary to some especially if you have lived in your home to a long time. So, decide on what is better for you and your family.
- Selling your property as it is might not always get you the right buyers. So, a little mending might go a long way in getting the right price and the right buyer for your property before you shift to a new house.
- Make a list of your requirements as it regards to what you want from your home. Depending on the existing requirements, make a choice to either renovate your property or moving to a new home. There would be many times when minor changes to your existing home could make all the difference and there would be other times when you would be compelled to consider an alternative home.
- Get to understand the local rules and required permits needed in order to renovate your home. While making renovation plans, make sure that you don’t violate any of the norms as that would stall your project even before you have started it. Going through this exercise may help you determine in a renovation is right for you or if it’s better to find a home that already has what you are looking for.
- Most importantly, know your financial ability. Depending on the spending power that you have got, decide if renovating your existing home would fit your pocket or moving to a new property altogether would. Your available finances may really determine whether it’s better to renovate and stay put or sell and find the perfect home.